The applicant (Accenture Global Services Limited) is an Accenture plc group company
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .ACCENTURE gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .accenture gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Accenture... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .ACCENTURE gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The new .accenture gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Accenture Global Services Limited (Accenture) can create and control domain spaces that promote its brand identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .accenture gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Accenture to provide information, services and resources to consumers in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility. Second and third level domains can then be utilised for brand clarity purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Accenture is a global management consulting, technology services and outsourcing company, with more than 244,000 employees serving clients in more than 120 countries. Accenture has offices and operations in more than 200 cities in 54 countries. Accenture works with organizations of all sizes, including 92 companies listed on Fortune Global 100 and more than three quarters that are listed on Fortune Global 500. Accenture also has extensive relationships with the world's leading companies and governments. Accenture has also been ranked since 2002 by ʺInterbrandʺ as one of top 100 Best Global Brands. In 2011 Accenture ranked 45th with a brand value of $8B and No. 49 on Financial Times' BrandZ ‘Top 100 Most Powerful Brands' in 2011. Accenture is listed on the New York Stock Exchange and is a constituent of the S & P 500. Accenture generated net revenues of USD25.5 billion for the fiscal year ended August 31, 2011. Accenture collaborates with its client companies to help them become high performance businesses and governments. Accenture's "high performance business" strategy builds on the company's expertise in consulting, technology and outsourcing to deliver solutions to help its clients to:
- enter new markets;
- increase revenues;
- improve operational performance; and
- deliver their products and services more efficiently and effectively.
Accenture is committed to providing excellent solutions to its clients in all of its activities as reflected in Accenture's new brand campaigned "High performance. Delivered" launched in 2011. In this regard, consumer trust and brand clarity are paramount considerations in Accenture's application for the .accenture gTLD.
Business activities are increasingly conducted over the internet, allowing for greater levels of interaction between businesses and customers. As a result, both businesses and end users benefit from ease of interaction and a wider range of choices with lower transaction costs. However, the development in this arena in the current domain name system has exposed both businesses and consumers to increased criminal activities over the internet, including data breach, hacking and phishing. These sophisticated criminal activities cause reputational damage to businesses as internet users lose consumer confidence and trust with the businesses targeted by such criminal activities. The .accenture gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Accenture online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Accenture's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Accenture is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .accenture gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Accenture, at this stage, which will provide added consumer trust that the .accenture domain names are trustworthy. As .accenture domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Accenture's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .accenture domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .accenture gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Accenture's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Accenture. As Accenture has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under the .accenture domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .accenture gTLD, the projected number of registrations is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a more limited number of 5 domain names will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase to about 50 domain names as Accenture develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns and create product and service related domain names in the second or third levels for the .accenture gTLD.
As the new .accenture gTLD expands and evolves, Accenture will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Accenture will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to .accenture gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Accenture does not intend to use geographic names in the second level initially. However, at a later stage, Accenture may use geographic names to localise its websites in the countries in which it operates in accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22. Such use of geographic names will:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the relevant territory.
At this stage, Accenture does not intend to utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level. However, as the use of the .accenture gTLD evolves, Accenture may wish to utilise IDNs within the .accenture domain space to allow internet users to engage with .accenture in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
Accenture is a well-recognised global brand with its "Accenture" trademark registered by Accenture's affiliate, Accenture Global Services GmbH, in 151 countries and territories including Germany, China, Japan, Switzerland, Russia, Korea, France, UK, France and US for categories such as Advertising and business (Class 35); Insurance and financial (Class 36) and Computer, scientific & legal (Class 42).
Further, Accenture has an extensive domain name portfolio including 145 existing domain names with an exact match to the applied-for .accenture string and its "Accenture" trademark in spaces such as accenture.com, accenture.co and accenture.co.uk. Accenture also has over 500 existing domain names containing the applied-for .accenture string in spaces such as accenturebusinessservices.com, accentureco.net and accentureconsulting.fr.
Recently, Accenture was successful in securing sunrise application for accenture.xxx and accenture.co based on existing trademark registration.×