Kerry Trading Co. Limited
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .KERRYLOGISTICS gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST, CONFIDENCE AND UTILITY THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .kerrylogistics gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .KERRYLOGISTICS gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST, CONFIDENCE AND UTILITY THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The new .kerrylogistics gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Kerry Trading Co. Limited (Kerry Trading) can create and control domain spaces that promote the brand identity and authenticity of Kerry Logistics Network Limited (Kerry Logistics). The .kerrylogistics gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Kerry Trading, its affiliates and partners that are associated with Kerry Logistics. In this regard, .kerrylogistics will be used by Kerry Trading and its affiliates to provide information, services and resources to customers of Kerry Logistics and its affiliates in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility. Second and third level domain names can be utilised for marketing and customer engagement purposes to promote Kerry Logistics and its services, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Kerry Trading is based in Hong Kong and operates as a wholly owned subsidiary of Kerry Group Limited (Kerry Group). The "Kerry" brand has been identified with Kerry Group's extensive operations in Asia for almost 40 years. Kerry Group engages in the hotel, real estate, palm oil plantations and refineries, industrial manufacturing, commodities, media, logistics and warehousing businesses throughout the world. Kerry Group has various companies listed on various stock exchanges, among which Kerry Properties Ltd wholly-owns Kerry Logistics.
Kerry Logistics was established in Bermuda as an indirect subsidiary to Kerry Group and an affiliate to Kerry Trading. Currently, Kerry Logistics has approximately 400 offices and over 16,000 employees in 23 countries. Recognised as a key logistics player in the Asia region, Kerry Logistics is managing 3 million square metres of logistics facilities worldwide, with the majority in China and Asia. It has established itself as a premier supply chain management expert and third-party logistics service provider. It has progressively built up world-class services for its customers across the globe. With an increasing volume of both air and sea cargoes handled, Kerry Logistics strives to strengthen and expand its logistics presence across the world. In this regard, consumer trust, continuous innovation and protection of the Kerry Logistics' online presence are paramount considerations.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .kerrylogistics gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Kerry Trading and Kerry Logistics online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Kerry Trading's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Kerry Trading is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .kerrylogistics gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Kerry Trading and its affiliate entities in connection with Kerry Logistics' business operations, at this stage. This will provide added consumer trust that .kerrylogistics domain names are trustworthy. As .kerrylogistics domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Kerry Trading's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .kerrylogistics domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .kerrylogistics gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Kerry Trading's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names relevant to Kerry Logistics' business on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Kerry Trading and Kerry Logistics online. As Kerry Trading has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under the .kerrylogistics domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .kerrylogistics gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that between 20 and 75 domain names will be registered in the first few years. However, the number of registrations is likely to increase as Kerry Trading develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns with regards to its services and products.
As the new .kerrylogistics gTLD expands and evolves, Kerry Trading will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Kerry Trading will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to the .kerrylogistics gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Kerry Trading does not intend to utilise geographic names or Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level initially. However, as the use of the .kerrylogistics gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that Kerry Trading may consider utilising geographic names and/or IDNs within the .kerrylogistics domain space to allow internet users:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory;
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory;
- to engage with .kerrylogistics in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
The use of geographic names will be in accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22.
Kerry Trading is part of a well-recognised global brand with its "KERRY" trademark registered in 26 countries and territories and its "嘉里" trademark ("KERRY" in Chinese language) registered in 14 countries and territories by Kuok Registrations Ltd (Kuok Registrations), an affiliate of the Kerry Trading for the classes including: 35 (Advertising and business); 36 (Insurance and financial); 39 (Transportation and storage); 40 (Treatment of materials).
Kuok Registrations has "KERRY LOGISTICS NETWORK LIMITED" trademark registered in Switzerland for Advertising and business (Class 35) and Transportation and storage (Class 39).
Kerry Trading has 3 4 existing domain names with an exact match to the applied-for string .kerrylogistics in .com, .com.hk, .co.uk and .com.sg.
Further, Kerry Trading has 2 existing domain names with an exact match to the Chinese equivalent of the applied-for string in 嘉里物流.公司 (IDN .com) and 嘉里物流.中國 (IDN .cn).×