H. Lundbeck A/S
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .LUNDBECK gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .lundbeck gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which H. Lundbeck A/S... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .LUNDBECK gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The new .lundbeck gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which H. Lundbeck A/S (Lundbeck) can create and control domain spaces that promote its brand identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .lundbeck gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Lundbeck to provide information, services and resources to consumers in a way that promotes the brand awareness, exclusivity, trust, convenience and utility. Second and third level domains can then be utilised for information and marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Lundbeck is a global pharmaceutical company that was established in 1915. Lundbeck is conducting research into developing, manufacturing, marketing, selling and distributing pharmaceutical products for the treatment of disorders of the central nervous system (CNS) including depression, Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and schizophrenia. Lundbeck is listed on the Copenhagen Stock Exchange (since 1999) and in 2010, Lundbeck generated a revenue of approximately DKK 14,8 billion. Lundeck currently has almost 6,000 employees worldwide in 57 countries with its pharmaceutical products registered in more than 100 countries. Further, Lundbeck has production facilities in Italy, France, Mexico and Denmark and has research centres in Denmark and the US. As a leading global pharmaceutical company, consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations for Lundbeck.
Business activities are increasingly conducted over the internet, allowing for greater levels of interaction between businesses and customers. As a result, both businesses and end users benefit from ease of interaction and a wider range of choices with lower transaction costs. However, the development in this arena in the current domain name system has exposed both businesses and consumers to increased criminal activities over the internet, including data breach, hacking and phishing. These sophisticated criminal activities cause reputational damage to businesses as internet users lose consumer confidence and trust with the businesses targeted by such criminal activities. The .lundbeck gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Lundbeck online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Lundbeck's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Lundbeck is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .lundbeck gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Lundbeck which will provide added consumer trust that .lundbeck domain names are trustworthy. As .lundbeck domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Lundbeck's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .lundbeck domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in .lundbeck gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Lundbeck's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Lundbeck. As Lundbeck has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .lundbeck domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .lundbeck gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a more limited number of domain names (around 100) will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase to about 250 domain names as Lundbeck develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns. As the new .lundbeck gTLD expands and evolves, Lundbeck will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Lundbeck will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to .lundbeck gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Lundbeck intends to create relevant domain names for use including product, services or geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, Lundbeck will use geographic names to localise its websites in the countries in which it currently operates. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
At this stage, Lundbeck does not intend to utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level. However, as the use of the .lundbeck gTLD evolves, Lundbeck msy utilise IDNs within the .lundbeck domain space to allow internet users to engage with .lundbeck in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
Lundbeck is a well-recognised global brand with its trademarks registered in all European and 26 other countries and territories for the following category: class 5 (pharmaceutical and veterinary preparations, pharmaceutical preparations and substances for the prevention and treatment of disorders and diseases in, generated from, affecting, acting on or stimulating the central nervous system).
Further, Lundbeck has over 1,500 existing domain names, of which 215 domain names contain the "lundbeck" trademark and 161 domain names are exact matches to the "lundbeck" trademark, in the following spaces:
- gTLDs: lundbeck.com, lundbeck-lexapro.com, lundbeck-pharma.com, lundbeck-symposia.com, lundbeck.mobi, lundbeck.net, lundbeck.org, lundbeck.tel, lundbeckcodeofconduct.com, lundbeckelearning.com, lundbeckinstitute.com, lundbeckinstitute.org, lundbeckpharma.com, lundbeckpharamaceuticals.com, lundbeckpharamceuticalsinfo.com, lundbeckpharamaceuticals.info, lundbeckpharamaceuticals.net, lundbeckpharamaceuticals.org, lundbecktrials.com
- country-code TLDs: lundbeck.ac, lundbeck.ae, lundbeck.ag, lundbeck.ai, lundbeck.am, lundbeck.as, lundbeck.be, lundbeck.cc, lundbeck.cn, lundbeck.co, lundbeck.co.jp, lundbeck.co.nz, lundbeck.co.za, lundbeck.com.mt, lundbeck.com.pa. lundbeck.com.ce, lundbeck.com.pk, lundbeck.com.pl, lundbeck.com.ro, lundbeck.com.ru, lundbeck.com.sg, lundbeck.do, lundbeck.hk, lundbeck.hn, lundbeck.ir, lundbeck.kg, lundbeck.ir. lundbeck.lv, lundbeck.lu, lundbeck.lt, lundbeck.mn, lundbeck.ua, lundbeck.vn
Recently, Lundbeck was successful in securing sunrise application for the following domain spaces based on existing trademark registration: .asia, .mobi, .tel, .org, .net×