Public Limited Company and constituent of FTSE250 .
Incorporated in England and Wales, with registered number 04677092.
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .NADEX GTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The .nadex gTLD will create a new generation gTLD serving the interests of end users by... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .NADEX GTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The .nadex gTLD will create a new generation gTLD serving the interests of end users by providing an authoritative Internet space where information, services and resources of the Nadex brand, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the brand will be closely controlled by IG Group Holdings plc. (IG Group). The majority of the anticipated domain name registrations in the .nadex gTLD will be used in the promotion and communication of the Nadex brand and exchange. A subset of domain names has the potential to be created and used for communication and marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
IG Group was established in 1974, has its headquarters in London and operates globally with 14 global offices in several European countries, Japan, Singapore and Australia. IG Group is listed on the London Stock Exchange, is a member of the FTSE 250 and has a market capital value of £1.7 billion (as at October 2011). IG Group is a world-leading provider of financial derivatives. Nadex is fully backed and capitalized by IG Group, is subject to regulatory oversight by the US Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and has launched a new and easy way to trade underlying markets such as economic events, spot forex, commodities or stock indices. Nadex is the only US exchange that allows individual retail traders to become a direct member and place orders directly on the exchange using Nadex' direct market access trading platform. In the year to May 2011, IG Group achieved a turnover of £320.4 million, and generated a record adjusted profit before tax of £163.0 million. The .nadex gTLD will increase customers' trust in trading exchanges listed on Nadex. The .nadex gTLD will allow IG Group to provide resources and potential services to online customers in a secure, interactive and authoritative internet space.
New investment opportunities are increasingly offered over the internet, presenting customers with a wider choice of easy accessible investment products. As a result, both businesses and end users benefit from ease of interaction and a wider range of choices with lower transaction costs. However, the development in this arena in the current domain name system has exposed consumers to confusion in an often crowded and bewildering marketplace and has exposed both businesses and consumers to increased criminal activities over the internet, including data breach, hacking and phishing. These sophisticated criminal activities cause reputational damage to businesses as internet users lose consumer confidence and trust with the businesses targeted by such criminal activities. The .nadex gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users, potentially offering financial services and reliable and relevant educational content in a secure online environment provided by IG Group, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
IG Group's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. IG Group is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .nadex gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to IG Group and its affiliate entities which will provide added consumer reassurance that .nadex domain names are trustworthy. As .nadex domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under IG Group's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .nadex domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not directly intended to instigate competition and consumer choice among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in .nadex gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting IG Group's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with IG Group as well as providing an opportunity to IG Group to communicate with customers on a more personal level through intuitive and user friendly domain names. As IG Group has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .nadex domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet as an outlet for improved services.
Given the restricted nature of the .nadex gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that only about 5 - 15 domain names will be registered in the first few years. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase as IG Group develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns.
As the new .nadex gTLD expands and evolves, IG Group may consider offering the use of second level domain names to its core customers to trade exchanges listed on Nadex in a secure environment at a later date. In this endeavour, IG Group will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. IG Group will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to .nadex gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
IG Group intends to create relevant domain names for use including brand, services or geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, IG Group will possibly use geographic names to localise its websites in the countries in which it operates (currently 15 countries). The possible use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
Nadex is a well-recognised brand and IG Group has its trademark registered in the United States for the following categories: IC 036 US 100 101 102 (financial services, namely providing for the exchange of commodities, financial trading instruments, financial derivatives and interest rate products).
Further, IG Group has existing domain names in the following spaces:
- gTLDs: nadexacademy.com, nadexuniversity.com
- ccTLDs: nadex.com.hk, nadex.hk×