THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .STATOIL gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY. The new .statoil gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Statoil ASA... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .STATOIL gTLD IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY.
The new .statoil gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which Statoil ASA (Statoil) can create and control domain spaces to strengthen its brand identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .statoil gTLD will be used by Statoil to provide information, services and resources to clients and business partners in a way that promotes user confidence, brand authenticity and utility. The .statoil gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Statoil, its affiliates and partners that are associated with the brand. Second and third level domains will possibly include geographical names and Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) and can then be utilised to target specific segments of its customer base, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Statoil is an international energy company that focuses on the development and production of oil and gas and renewable energy. The company was established in Norway in 1972 and now has over 20.000 employees in 36 countries and is listed on the New York and Oslo stock exchanges. Statoil applies technology and creates innovative business solutions and strives for continuous operational improvement, in this regard consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in all Statoils' activities.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .statoil gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Statoil online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Statoil's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Statoil is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .statoil gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Statoil and its affiliate entities which will provide added consumer trust that .statoil domain names are trustworthy. As .statoil domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Statoil's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .statoil domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focussed on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .statoil gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Statoil's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Statoil. As Statoil has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .statoil domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .statoil gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a rather limited number of domain names (up to a 100) will be registered in the first year. However, over the next few years, the number of registrations is likely to increase to about 200 domain names as new services and marketing campaigns are developed and implemented. As the new .statoil gTLD expands and evolves, Statoil will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Statoil will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to .statoil gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Statoil intends to create relevant domain names targeted for specific use such as for projects and campaigns in the second or third level domain names. At a later stage, Statoil may use geographic names to localise its websites in the countries in which it operates (currently 36 countries) in accordance with registration policies and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the national territory.
At this stage, Statoil does not intend to utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level. However, as the .statoil gTLD develops and evolves, Statoil may use IDNs to allow and encourage internet users to engage with Statoil in their native language. This will contribute to creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
Statoil is a well-recognised global brand with its trademarks registered in 67 countries and territories, including, but not limited to, the following categories: chemical and petro-chemical products, petroleum products, gas products, wind power plants, semi-manufactured plastics, refining and processing of products, research and design.
Statoil has over 180 domain names with an exact match to the "statoil" trademark across various country-code TLDS (ccTLDs), and 10 exact matches across various gTLDs including the following:
- gTLDs: statoil.com, statoil.asia, statoil.tel, statoil.mobi
- ccTLDs: statoil.co.uk, statoil.ar, statoil.jp, statoil.pl
Further, Statoil has an extensive portfolio of domain names registered in over 400 ccTLDs and 300 gTLDs containing the word "statoil."
Recently, Statoil was successful in securing sunrise application for the following domain spaces based on existing trademark registration: statoil.co, statoil.asia, statoil.tel, statoil.mobi.×