THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .TAB gTLD, TO BE OPERATED BY TABCORP HOLDINGS LIMITED (TABCORP) AS REGISTRY OPERATOR, IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY, AND TO PROVIDE A... Read more
THE MISSION AND PURPOSE OF THE NEW RESTRICTED .TAB gTLD, TO BE OPERATED BY TABCORP HOLDINGS LIMITED (TABCORP) AS REGISTRY OPERATOR, IS TO BENEFIT INTERNET USERS BY ENSURING INCREASED TRUST AND CONFIDENCE THROUGH THE ELIMINATION OF USER CONFUSION AND ASSURANCE OF BRAND AUTHENTICITY, AND TO PROVIDE A SECURE ENVIRONMENT FOR ITS CUSTOMERS TO INTERACT WITH IT ONLINE.
The .tab gTLD will create a new generation gTLD serving the interests of end users by providing an authoritative Internet space where information, services and resources of the TABCORP brand, as well as other associated key brands of its affiliates, will be closely controlled by Tabcorp. In this regard, the .tab will be used by Tabcorp to provide information, services and resources to consumers in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility. The majority of the anticipated domain name registrations in the .tab gTLD will be used in the promotion and communication of the Tabcorp brand, as well as the facilitation of a secure environment in which its customers can engage with Tabcorp's online betting business. A subset of domain names has the potential to be created and used for online commerce, brand participation and differentiation as well as communication and marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Tabcorp was listed on the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) in August 1994. Tabcorp conducts a unique combination of wagering, gaming, keno and media activities across Australia. Tabcorp has more than 140,000 shareholders and has a market capitalisation within the top 100 Australian companies listed on the Australian Securities Exchange. Tabcorp is committed to ensuring its products are enjoyed by its customers and delivered responsibly. Tabcorp makes a significant contribution to the communities in which it operates through sponsorships, donations, provision of community services, payment of taxes and provision of entertainment. Tabcorp is committed to creating the bigger better game for all stakeholders by delivering:
- Superior value for shareholders;
- Exciting and compelling products and services for customers;
- Rewarding environment for employees at the top of their game; and
- Commitment to its partners and the communities in which it operates.
In this regard, consumer trust and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in all its activities.
The evolution of the internet has resulted in an increasing amount of Tabcorp's business activities being conducted online over the internet. Both businesses and end users have benefited from the increased ease of interaction and a wider range of choices with lower transaction costs, and will continue to do so in the future. However, over time, as the number of online transactions has multiplied, an increase in the number and scope of criminal activities over the internet has also occurred. These activities include elements of data breaches, hacking, identity theft, phishing - and have opened up new avenues for criminal elements to find ways to conduct their activities. These sophisticated criminal activities lead to financial as well as non-financial loss, in often substantial amounts, being suffered by individuals and businesses alike, as well as reputational damage to businesses as internet users lose consumer confidence and trust with the businesses targeted by such criminal activities. The .tab gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Tabcorp online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction. This is consistent with Tabcorp's goal of ensuring that its products are delivered responsibly.
Tabcorp's mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest. Tabcorp is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANN's Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .tab gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Tabcorp and its affiliate entities which will provide added consumer trust that .tab domain names are trustworthy. As .tab domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Tabcorp's control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .tab domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANN's initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .tab gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Tabcorp's marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Tabcorp. As Tabcorp has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under .tab domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .tab gTLD, the projected number of registration is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that a reasonably limited number of domain names (100) will be registered in the first year. This number is likely to increase over the next few years to about 250 domain names as Tabcorp develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns.
Tabcorp intends to create relevant domain names for use including products or services but not geographic names in the second or third level domain names. At this stage, Tabcorp does not intend to use geographic names to localise its websites in any other countries.
Tabcorp does not intend to utilise Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level initially. However, as the use of the .tab gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that Tabcorp will utilise IDNs within the .tab domain space to allow internet users to engage with .tab in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity.
Tabcorp is a well-recognised Australian brand with approximately 57 registered trademarks in Australia which incorporate "Tab" or "Tabaret" in some form, mainly across the following classes: Class 09, Class 16, Class 36, Class 38, and Class 41 with a small number of marks registered in classes 14, 18, 24, 25, 26, 28, 35 and 43. Further descriptions of items in each class have not been included due to space limitations.
Outside of Australia, Tabcorp holds trademarks for "Tabaret" and "S-tab" in New Zealand (5 registered trademarks), United Kingdom (4 registered trademarks), Indonesia (1 registered trademarks) and 1 community registered trademark. These marks are registered across a number of the same classes as set out able including 9, 28, 36, 38, and 41.
Tabcorp has 46 existing domain names across mainly .com, .com.au, .net.au, .info and .mobi spaces.
Tabcorp believes that the .tab gTLD is unlikely to cause confusion with either a generic term or any existing TLDs. Although there are other meanings attributable to this word, Tabcorp trademarks are a leading Australian brand with significant reputation in countries all around the world. Tabcorp has used the term TAB in conjunction with its wagering, gaming, keno and media activities for at least 18 years.×