(a) The Applicant, Total SA ("Total"), is a French société anonyme (limited company) incorporated in France on March 28, 1924. Together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, Total is one of France's largest corporations and the fifth largest publicly-traded integrated international oil and gas... Read more
(a) The Applicant, Total SA ("Total"), is a French société anonyme (limited company) incorporated in France on March 28, 1924. Together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, Total is one of France's largest corporations and the fifth largest publicly-traded integrated international oil and gas company in the world (based on market capitalization (in dollars) as of December 31, 2011), as well as a world-wlass chemicals manufacturer (cf. www.total.com).
It has been listed on the New York Stock Exchange since 1991 and has one of the largest capitalizations on the NYSE Euronext. It accounts for 12% of the CAC 40, of which it is the largest listed company. In Forbesʹ 2011 issue of ʹThe Worldʹs Biggest Public Companiesʹ (http://www.forbes.com/global2000/list/), Total ranked 19.
The Total Group has operations in more than 130 countries and more than 96,000 employees.
Total engages in every sector of the oil industry, including
• upstream operations: development; oil and gas exploration and production activities in more than 40 countries; production of oil and gas in approximately 30 countries; and
• downstream operations: refining, marketing, trading and shipping of crude oil and large range of petroleum products; providing a retail network of about 15,000 service stations worldwide mainly under the TOTAL house brand (Total is the no. 1 in Western Europe for refining and marketing and the no. 1 in African marketing, with a strong presence in the Mediterranean Basin and moving into growth markets in South-East Asia).
Total also produces base chemicals (petrochemicals and fertilizers) and specialty chemicals for the industrial and consumer markets (rubber processing, adhesives, resins and electroplating).
In addition, Total has interests in the coal mining and operates in the power generation and renewable energy sectors.
Total began its upstream operations in the Middle East in 1924, since that time, the company has grown and expanded its operations worldwide to become a global energy producer and provider.
Total's activities lie at the heart of the two biggest challenges facing the world now and in future : energy supply and environmental protection. Total's strategy, the implementation of which is based on a model for sustainable growth combining the acceptability of operations with a sustained, profitable investment program, aims at :
- expanding hydrocarbon exploration and production activities and strengthening its worldwide position as one of the global leaders in the natural gas and LNG markets;
- progressively expanding TOTAL's energy solutions and developing new energies to complement oil and gas (notably solar, biomass);
- developing its petroleum product marketing business, in particular in Africa, Asia and the Middle East, while maintaining the competitiveness of its operations in mature areas; and
- pursuing research and development to develop "clean" sources of energy, contributing to the moderation of the demand for energy, and participating in the effort against climate change.
According to the Applicant, the mission and purpose of the .TOTAL TLD are manifold, as will be further explained below:
i. First and foremost: make the most out of the opportunity presented by ICANN's New gTLD Program, and therefore securing the Applicant's key household brand ("TOTAL") as a gTLD;
ii. Total sees great value in reflecting the highly recognizable brand TOTAL - which has a true global exposure and international clientele - at the top level of the DNS' hierarchy. It strongly believes that a .TOTAL gTLD could in the future turn out to become an interesting platform for Total and its stakeholders (in particular its Affiliates) to use, and potentially generate numerous benefits from a marketing and branding perspective;
iii. Support the Total Group's day-to-day activities, for the benefit of the Applicant, its affiliates, TOTAL connected businesses and consumers;
iv. Provide stakeholders of the Applicant with a recognizable and trusted identifier - .TOTAL - on the Internet. Such stakeholders include, but are not limited to:
• subsidiaries and joint ventures in various countries (note: these are to be considered "Affiliates" in accordance with ICANN's Registry Operator Agreement);
• about 15,000 service stations' dealers and thousands of retailers and distributors of Total's branded products;
• affiliate partners;
• prospective and current customers, including various millions of holders of Total fuel and loyalty cards;
• shareholders and prospective investors; and
• directors and officers of Total and its subsidiaries, including more than 96,000 employees.
v. Provide such stakeholders with a secure and safe Internet environment, under the control of the Applicant, in which they are able to obtain information from and communicate with the Total;
vi. Over time: provide for the opportunity to certain selected stakeholders to register and/or use domain names in the .TOTAL gTLD, insofar and to the extent that (i) Total would remain in control over certain aspects of these domain names, (ii) in the opinion of Total, this would create significant business opportunities, (iii) there would be branding and marketing benefits for the Total Group, and (iv) if sufficient guarantees can be put in place in order to mitigate the risks of damage to the reputation of the TOTAL brand and the business activities of the Total Group;
vii. Gradually assist the Applicant and the Total Group in general in promoting and offering content in multiple languages and services to an international audience, directly or indirectly accessible under specific domain names registered in the .TOTAL gTLD, referring to, amongst others, products and services, product and service categories, and brands.×