YODOBASHI CAMERA CO.,LTD.
The mission and purpose of the new restricted .yodobashi gTLD is to benefit internet users by ensuring increased trust, convenience and utility. The new .yodobashi gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which YODOBASHI CAMERA CO.,LTD., (Yodobashi) can create and control domain spaces... Read more
The mission and purpose of the new restricted .yodobashi gTLD is to benefit internet users by ensuring increased trust, convenience and utility.
The new .yodobashi gTLD will operate as a restricted registry, in which YODOBASHI CAMERA CO.,LTD., (Yodobashi) can create and control domain spaces within .yodobashi that promote its brand identity and authenticity. In this regard, the .yodobashi gTLD will be used by Yodobashi to provide information, services and resources regarding its electronics products to consumers in a way that promotes trust, convenience and utility. The .yodobashi gTLD will provide an authoritative internet space for Yodobashi and its affiliates that are associated with the Yodobashi brand. Second and third level domain names can then be utilized for communication and marketing purposes, with internet users assured of brand authenticity.
Yodobashi is a Japanese retail group that sells a large range (over 850,000 different items) of electronics goods including cameras, personal computers, audio and visual equipment, appliances and software. Yodobashi, based in Tokyo, was founded in 1960 as Fujisawa Shashin Shokai and changed its name to YODOBASHI CAMERA CO.,LTD. in 1974. Yodobashi opened its first store in Tokyo in 1975 and currently owns 21 super-sized electronic retail stores throughout Japan with approximately 4,800 employees. Since 1998, Yodobashi has also operated a large online shopping site with over 10 million customers visiting the website on daily basis with excellent customer satisfaction rating. In 2011, Yodobashi was the 12th largest company in terms of its sales volume in the Japanese retail industry with its net profits of 61 billion yen in 2011. In addition to promoting Yodobashi as a leading edge brand proactively engaging in new technology, the new .yodobashi gTLD will provide an intuitive access point for customers to obtain information and services and securely shop online. In this regard, consumer trust, utility and continuous innovation are paramount considerations in all its activities.
Since the inception of the current domain name system, business activities conducted on the internet are constantly changing and evolving with increased complexity. The volume of commercial transactions over the internet is constantly growing and bringing benefits of simplicity and lowered transaction costs to businesses and consumers. However, at the same time, criminal activities over the internet including data breach, hacking and phishing activities have also become more sophisticated resulting in loss of consumer confidence beyond mere monetary harm. The .yodobashi gTLD will facilitate greater trust and assurance from internet users connecting with Yodobashi online, whilst still allowing convenient and efficient interaction.
Yodobashiʹs mission and purpose of the proposed new gTLD share ICANNʹs initiatives to promote public interest. Yodobashi is committed to contribute towards achieving such initiatives in line with ICANNʹs Affirmation of Commitments, which includes:
- consumer trust: the .yodobashi gTLD registry will be operated in a centralised manner with a restrictive registration policy. Registration of domain names will only be available to Yodobashi and its affiliates with significant connection to Yodobashiʹs brand and business initially. This will provide added consumer trust that the .yodobashi domain names are trustworthy. As the .yodobashi domain names are subject to registration standards, policies and procedures under Yodobashiʹs control, this eliminates the possibility of malicious conduct within the .yodobashi domain space;
- competition: the proposed new gTLD is not intended to instigate competition and consumer choice at the level of registration of domain names among prospective registrants. Instead it is anticipated to contribute to ICANNʹs initiatives to promote public interest through its operation focused on promoting consumer trust. Increased trust in the .yodobashi gTLD will drive existing and new top level domain (TLD) registry operators to make improvements in mechanisms to improve consumer trust of their TLDs; and
- consumer choice: the proposed new gTLD will enable user-driven improvements and innovations assisting Yodobashiʹs marketing efforts through its ability to create new second and third level domain names on demand. These names will provide the consumers with more choices for interacting with Yodobashi. As Yodobashi has effective control over the registration and use of domain names under the .yodobashi domain space, this will also contribute towards general service innovations on the internet.
Given the restricted nature of the .yodobashi gTLD, the projected number of registrations is likely to be limited. It is anticipated that between 15 and 45 domain names will be registered in the first few years. However, the number of registrations is likely to increase as Yodobashi develops and implements new services and marketing campaigns to promote the .yodobashi gTLD.
As the new .yodobashi gTLD expands and evolves, Yodobashi may consider offering the use of second level domain names to its partner companies at a later date for the purposes of offering customers a range of online shopping sites and services. The domain names will be available only to eligible partner companies that meet an internal evaluation process so as to ensure the domain names are coherent with Yodobashiʹs business and branding strategy. In this endeavor, Yodobashi will continue to comply with all operational, technical and policy requirements, as well as maintaining consumer trust and the stability of the internet. Yodobashi will keep ICANN reasonably informed of any material developments relating to the .yodobashi gTLD including compliance with the continued operations instrument obligations as set out in Specification 8 of the Registry Agreement.
Yodobashi intends to create relevant domain names for use including product, services or geographic names in the second or third level domain names. In accordance with registration policy and the proposed measures for protection of geographic names as outlined in response to Question 22, Yodobashi will use geographic names to localize its websites in relevant Japanese cities in which it operates. The use of geographic names is intended to:
- connect internet users with relevant information as applicable to the territory; and
- comply with required rules and regulations in the territory.
Yodobashi will also utilize Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs) at the second level in Japanese language. The use of IDNs will allow internet users to engage with .yodobashi in their native language, creating a more positive user experience and encouraging diversity. As the use of the .yodobashi gTLD evolves, it is anticipated that the use of IDNs, including additional languages may increase within the .yodobashi domain space.
Yodobashi is a well-recognized brand in Japan and parts of Asia with its trademarks registered in 11 countries and territories, including Japan, China, Korea, Singapore and Australia, for 17 categories, including: Retail/Wholesale of Electrical Appliances (Class 35); Photographic Chemicals (Class 1); Machines and Machine Tools (Class 7); Electrical, Photographic and Recording Apparatus (Class 9); Apparatus for Environmental Control (Class 11); Toys and Sporting Goods (Class 28); Construction and Repair Services (Class 37); Telecommunication Services (Class 38); Material Treatment Services (Class 40); Education and Entertainment Services (Class 41); and Scientific and Technological Services (Class 42).
Yodobashi has existing domain names with an exact match to the ʺYodobashiʺ trademark in yodobashi.com, yodobashi.jp and yodobashi.co.jp. In addition, Yodobashi has over 85 gTLDs and 25 country-code TLDs (ccTLDs) containing the ʺYodobashiʺ trademark. Recently, Yodobashi was successful in securing sunrise application for yodobashi.xxx.×